Monday, September 13, 2010

public school day 1

IMG_4822  

we talked about going to school all weekend. He got no sleep all night, that darn sleep apnea. He was ready to get up and eat breakfast and watch Mickey Mouse. He didn't want to leave the house, he wanted to stay home.

IMG_4830 IMG_4831

Until I put the back pack on him. Then he was happy and more happy when he got his lunch box.

IMG_4833

When we got to school. I tried to get some photos but he wanted to get in the school.

IMG_4845

They had circle time and then went off to breakfast. He was happy so far. Then I left for the IEP meeting.

IMG_4850

just some cafeteria blur.

There are 13 kids in the special ed room. I asked that he stay in just this room today to see how he did and felt after not being in a school setting for a few years. He did great! only cried for me once after the teacher asked him to do something for “mommy”. He then began to cry and call for me. But, was fine really quick. He didn't eat lunch so he was hungry after school and asked for a burger.

The temporary IEP meeting went well. They were all so nice and thought so much more of Noah and don't even know him yet, compared to his awful school before. I was blown away by the goals we came up with for him to start off with so they can get to know him. They have 30 days before the big IEP meeting.  He will be in regular Second grade class room for science, health, fine arts, social studies, music, PE, and lunch, oh, and library. He will have reading, language and math in the special ed room which in this district they call Life Strides.

I have to say that I was so taken by both the special ed and the 2nd grade teachers. so warm and accepting. We didn't have this from his last school. His kindergarten teacher made clear she didn't want him in her room but they wouldn't move him to another room when I asked because she was the head teacher???? They just seem so willing to work with Noah and make him feel comfortable. 

I feel even more at peace that one of my sisters worked with the vice principle when he was a teacher and she called him up to ask him to watch over Noah. He said, sure he would and sat in on the IEP. He told me over and over they would take care of Noah and all would be good. My other sister knows the PE teacher and she also said she would look out for him as well.

So all in all it was a good day. I am happy and excited for Noah and for me too. Thank you all for your prayers I know they work wonders. This is what I had wanted all along for Noah… a good school with good teachers and staff and who believed in him. I am so happy that I felt ready to give it another shot and not let those awful people ruin it for Noah. Homeschooling was wonderful and I loved him here with me but this will be good too. I so need this break to get things done. Again, thank you!!!!!

Happy Monday!

12 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I'm so glad he enjoyed his first day of school and that the school is really trying to make school a positive experience for Noah! Hooray for answered prayers!

{Amy} said...

that is wonderful news! i am sorry to hear that you had such a negative experience the first time around. i worked in a school with wonderful, caring special ed teachers and a great program so i hate to hear that you and noah did not have this before. i hope this is the right fit for both of you. special ed or regular ed, first year or last year of school...all we want is the best for our children, right? what a relief for you, i hope it only gets better from here on out!
and he sure does look cute with his backpack on! : )

Rochelle said...

So thankful for a great day for Noah and a great feeling of peace for you! YEAH!!!!

Ann said...

So happy everything is going well! That photo of him at the cafeteria table made my eyes all misty. : )

PinkInklings said...

Yes he does look cute in his backpack : ) and hurray for the prayers that worked! (Now we all have to say thank-you prayers too)
I am so glad. Whoo-hoo! GO Noah!

Jenny said...

I am so happy to see that everything is going well so far! Thank goodness for those awesome teachers that are making Noah feel comfortable!

Colleen said...

Wow! The school sounds amazing! How wonderful! I can't believe they have so much including fine arts and music! The schools here in Ca. have none of that!
So happy for Noah!!

Micayla said...

So happy he enjoyed his first day. I am sure school will be good for you both Beverly.
x

Brandie said...

This is great! I'm so glad everything is off to such a good start.

Coley said...

I'm so glad things went well for your Noah!! Sounds like he is in a pretty good school!

Ria said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you and Noah! Sounds like he's in a good school and will have a great year!

Just Writing said...

I am so glad he had a good day at school and you got a little mommy time. Let's not think about Ohio right now, ok?