Friday, January 28, 2011

school stuff and happy its Friday

IMG_1316

this photo was taken on Tuesday, Noah’s first day to ride the bus. He has done well all week… no crying or not wanting to get on. He was 3 back in PA the last time he rode the bus to school and he mostly cried every day not wanting to get on it. My heart aches every time he gets on and they drive away with him. Some days I wonder why we send him off to school but then I remember we are trying it out and seeing how it goes and still my heart aches.

So the IEP meeting went ok. It was less than an hour. The next meeting will take place in 30 days after they do all new evaluations and get to know Noah better. I have 2 issues with his special ed teacher. I couldn’t sleep last night thinking of how to handle this. I need to find an area advocate or at least another parent to bounce my thoughts off of.

First, I know he is safe in this school. This is always first on my list (after what we dealt with before we pulled him out to homeschool). Second, they seem on the same page as me on actually teaching him and not just having him babysat.

my first issue is they have not sent him to reg ed yet. It is on his IEP from Texas and they all knew when we registered him and the principle said, after the first week of him getting used to the school then they would start him in reg ed the next week. I was fine with that. But, it has not happened yet. When I asked the sp ed teacher she said, something like, she has to work with him to get him to the point of him being able to go to reg ed.????? Then she made a comment on the second issue I have with her. That she wouldn’t know what grade to send him to since he is 9.

she brought his age up to me last week asking why was he in 2nd grade when he is 9. I thought it was a weird question and kind of pissed me off after thinking about it later. and then I started thinking is she going to try to move him up a grade because I don’t want that at all. I explained to her that he has an October birthday and that he is on target that in Texas you qualify for special prek till age 5. He turned 6 that last year in prek in Oct but still qualified since he was 5 at the start of the school year. So he is not behind, for a typical kid yes, for him NO.

Then yesterday in the meeting when I asked about him gong to reg ed and she acts like we never had this conversation and says, she wouldn’t know what grade to even send him to because of his age being 9. I mean what the heck is her problem, she obviously has some kind of issue with this. I really cant imagine why this would bother anyone? it bothered no one in Texas. I think it was mean that she did this in the meeting and just saying it at all. So, again I said, he is in 2nd grade, he has a late birthday. Has she read his school records or his IEP? both state he is in 2nd grade plain as day.

So, I will be sending a note to her on Monday that it would be in Noah’s best interest to start going to 2nd grade with his typical peers ASAP. That he has always been in reg ed and I see no reason for him to wait any longer. It is in his IEP so they must follow it so I have no idea why she thinks any different or what she wants from him before she thinks he can even go? UGH! Then I need to ask what her issue is with his age and being in 2nd grade and why she said what she said in the meeting and why she has brought it up twice. This is just not the fun part of this school stuff…. feeling like the enemy or the crazy Mom.

I will stop for now. I will update when I hear back from her.

wishing you a Happy Friday xo

4 comments:

MaryAnne said...

I'm glad Noah is happy to get on the bus! Good luck working things out with his teacher.

Jenny said...

That is really annoying for the teacher to be obsessed with his age. She's a special ed teacher too? She should know that age doesn't always matter. I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this. I'm frustrated for you!

I'm glad Noah is enjoying the bus ride!

Brandie said...

If Goldie ever has another IEP I will definitely get an advocate. I don't see what the big deal is about his age. Glad to hear he is having a good time on the bus. My 9yo would love to ride a bus.

Johnna said...

So sorry he is having a rough start (and you, too). Is the special ed teacher the one who chaired the meeting? If not, go to that person. Also, repeating the statement,"It is not acceptable that he has not started going to regular ed," like a broken record helped me.

I'll be waiting for your update. Hope good things happen!